Alsharq Tribune -AFP
The Trump administration has canceled 679 million U.S. dollars in federal funding for a dozen offshore wind projects in the United States.
The U.S. Transportation Department on Friday rescinded funding for projects in 11 states, including 435 million dollars for a floating wind farm in California, 47 million dollars to boost an offshore wind project in Maryland, and 48 million dollars for an offshore wind terminal project in New York's Staten Island.
"Wasteful, wind projects are using resources that could otherwise go towards revitalizing America's maritime industry," Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy said in a statement.
The canceled funding will be redirected to upgrade ports and other infrastructure in the country, where possible, the Transportation Department said.
This is the latest step by the Trump administration against renewable energy sources, according to U.S. media reports.
In another development, the U.S. Energy Department decided Friday to withdraw a 716 million-dollar loan guarantee approved by the Biden administration to upgrade and expand transmission infrastructure to accommodate an offshore wind project in New Jersey.
The Trump administration has stepped up efforts cutting federal support for wind and other renewable energy sources in recent weeks, slashing funding and canceling projects approved by the Biden administration. Last week, the administration halted construction of a nearly completed offshore project near Rhode Island.